Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lessons from WPPI | Personal Reflection

Well, I did it! I hung with the cool kids for a week. And if you can believe it, I survived. In fact, I more than survived. Or at least, I'd like to think I did. Because not only did I manage to leave with my self-esteem intact, but also took home with me a head full of lessons and thoughts and hopes to fuel this creative life and business.

Well those things, and little sleep to my name. And no, it wasn't because of the parties (I only went to one hosted by Pictage) or because I was out cruising the strip (because it was three days in Vegas before I actually set foot outside the MGM Grand - and that was to get In-n-Out and ride down the strip and back in the car belonging to some new friends... priorities people). It was because the days were long (up at 5:30AM - in bed by midnight) and full of platform classes, waiting in line for the platform classes, browsing the trade show, conversing with old friends and new friends over meals, and a whole lot of walking.

But let me tell you, it was worth it. Because over the course of a couple of days, I had the opportunity to meet and hear from and share with people whose vision for their work just blows me away. And in a place like that, in classes with people like Jesh de Rox, Tamara Lackey, and Dane Sanders, and more - I found myself both affirmed and challenged in the direction my work has been heading and where I want it to continue to go.

Photobucket

Jesh's session, in my opinion, set the tone for what was most crucial to focus on throughout my time at WPPI. And seriously, I doubt I've ever been that engaged - that moved - that inspired at 8AM on a Monday morning in my life. But not in particular by the photographer, but by the person and the heart and the purpose behind what we as photographers have the ability to do in our connections with the lives we touch and take pictures of. Fortunately, my further class choices during the week - for the most part - echoed some of the same concepts with such poignancy that it's all that continues reverberating in my head and heart.

Here's what I need some grace on, though. As I mentioned before, I had intended to share a little more in-depth on each of the major sessions and what was taught, but stopped short today when I remembered you're not all interested in that. And even then, there's just some things about these sessions that don't make full sense when written out in this format. For those of you that are interested, I'd rather connect with you by e-mail or over coffee to really give you the full scope and converse through the predominant elements of the conversation. I will gladly share my notes with anyone who asks for them!

If you're a photographer and you've never been to WPPI, I'd encourage you to go at least once. And not because of Vegas. Or because it's WPPI. But because it's the one opportunity I know of every year where as many photographers as possible make it all to one place to be together - sharing and learning and providing context for the work and lives we live.

And, most importantly, inspiration for the lives we have the potential to change.

4 comments:

Ashley Goins said...

Oh, you're such a tease!! :) I was so looking forward to your insight and reflections! - Ashley

Audra Bayette said...

I love your post! I was waiting to hear about the Jesh session - I am emailing you now:)

Anna Kim Photography said...

Wow. Kristine, this is so beautifully written. I couldn't agree w/you more, Jesh was the highlight of WPPI for me. I would love to see your notes, I was too busy crying my eyes out. I would love to meet you for coffee and see how we could start making this happen for the people we photograph.

Alison said...

Kristine,
Cliff and I grew up together once upon a time:) I just found you through Hailey's blog and you do amazing work. My partner and I have been considering going to WPPI for some time but had never talked to anyone who had been there personally. Is it really worth the money and how awkward is it to not know anyone else there? I'm interested in hearing what Jesh had to say or his topics. My sister lives in Nashville and I would love to meet up with you for coffee sometime. Thanks!!
Alison Douglas
www.amiandalisonphotography.com/blog