Friday, May 7, 2010

"Nashville Is Rising" | Personal Reflection

For anyone who has stumbled by here this week, thanks to links from ThirtySomethingBride and Nashvillest, I appreciate you taking the time to read our story. Our story which is, now in perspective, only really plagued by what was the small beginning to a pretty significant issue - and its after-effects - on our area.

It was hours and hours before the Cumberland River crested on Monday evening at more than twelve feet above flood level. The images taken during that day, when it seemed as though Downtown Nashville was about to be swallowed whole, were deeply saddening. After just a couple of days of news coverage of this city I love sitting in a pool of chocolatey-milk-like floodwaters, I had to see it with my own eyes.

My entire drive into Downtown on Wednesday, it felt as though my heart was stuck inside my throat. I was nervous.

Confused.

Awestruck.

IMG_7314-Edit

IMG_7340

IMG_7328

IMG_7311

IMG_7297

IMG_7289

And now? Hopeful.

Because as my neighbors and friends and complete strangers have proved, this place isn't the Volunteer State for nothing. You can't help but feel hope and pride when someone like Anderson Cooper comes to your town and tells the whole world "The thing that's different is that I've never seen so many people respond so quickly to help their neighbors.... It's incredible to see so many people helping. It's a great reflection on Nashville."

The mantras and sayings and rallying calls that have gone out over this area, not much unlike those that come out of other disaster areas, have been something to hang your hat on. That, my friends, is for sure.

And as Anderson so eloquently put it last night ...the water is falling, and Nashville is rising.

No comments: