Monday, May 10, 2010

Father and Son | Nashville Family Portrait Photography

I really love being a part of surprises. There’s a hidden joy in the ability to be a part of doing something unexpected for another person. So it was without hesitation that I gladly agreed to get some photos of Ryan and his dad, Dick, in honor of their wonderful mother and wife, Kathy, for Mother’s Day.

The hardest part, though, to surprises - is always the waiting, as it has now been almost three months since our session on a blustery February day. A day that seems so long ago and yet not.

Photobucket

Though I've known Ryan for years, I first met Dick and Kathy just a few months ago when they hosted Natalie and I at their beautiful home in western North Carolina. There is nothing like skiing with your best friend and then coming "home" to an incredible pair like the two of them. Dick was to me, at the time, an incredible source of wisdom and thoughtfulness in a season where there was a lot going on inside my head. A writer at heart and a man whose garden puts me to shame, you can't help but feel like you've known him your whole life even after just two days together.

Meet Dick and Bud...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As I said, I have known Ryan for years, and in that time was certain that it takes a unique and wonderful pair to raise such a great guy. A guy that has been such an incredible source of strength and support and love, himself, to my best friend and has become someone we can't image our lives without. Someone's whose humor brings life to every situation, and is seriously one of our favorite people to be around. Ever. And we've got a 52+ hours (driving time) road trip to prove it!

Meet Ryan and Bodhi...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm inspired by good men raising good men who will one day raise good men. There's a shortage in this world, but I'm grateful it's not in my own life.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Loving that we had the chance to incorporate Ryan's beloved Scout in the session!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The chance to take these photos, as simple as it was, of the two most important men (and their loyal companions) in Kathy's life is such an honor.

Photobucket

The three of them, together, are collectively some of the most fantastic people I know. Warm, inviting, caring, intelligent, and thoughtful.

The kind of people you just feel beyond grateful to know.

3 comments:

Molly Margaret said...

Wow. That last shot and the personality you captured in these shots... just wow. Take my picture!

Anonymous said...

love love love this! and the car and the pups too. such a great job. it is fun being part of surprises! beautiful writing as usual, too - ash

Jessica Rai McIntosh said...

great job Kristine! I love the way you captured this family, its so timeless & real!